We are excited to announce the third annual Glenwood Read-A-Thon which will run from Monday, March 12th through Friday, March 30th. This year’s theme is “The Power of Reading.” As Dr. Seuss says, “The more that you read. The more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more place you’ll go.” We can’t wait to get started!
The goal of the 2018 Read-A-Thon is to promote a LOVE of reading in our students, while at the same time raise funds to support Glenwood initiatives. Parents, families and friends will be able to pledge support for individual students’ reading efforts and the students will take pride and ownership in working towards a common goal. Success depends on involvement of every student – our goal is 100% participation!
Here’s an overview of how the Read-A-Thon works:
- Read-A-Thon packets distributed: On March 9 students will learn how the Read-A-Thon works and information packets will be sent home in students’ backpacks.
- Gather sponsors: From March 9 – March 12, students will set a “minutes read” goal and ask people to sponsor them by pledging an amount for each minute read or a flat dollar amount. Note: Additional sponsors can still be added once reading starts.
- Read-A-Thon starts (read and log minutes): From March 12 – 30, students will record minutes read each day and also take part in special Read-A-Thon events.
- Turn in Completed Packets: When the Read-A-Thon ends, students will tally up the total minutes read and bring their completed Minute Recording Log and collected donations to school by no later than April 2.
Earn prizes: New this year, students who read above a set goal for each grade will be entered into a raffle to win prizes. The class in each grade with the most minutes read will get a reward. Also, there will be a school wide surprise if the school reading goal is met.
- 100% of funds will be used for Glenwood Enrichment Programs that benefit the minds and bodies of our students.
- Donations are tax deductible.
- Success depends on involvement of every student – our goal is 100% participation!
More detailed information about how the Read-A-Thon works will be included in the information packets sent home with students. We look forward to this fun-filled, knowledge- building event!
HOW TO MAKE AN ONLINE DONATION
Click on the DONATE button below
Complete the donation form for UP TO 4 STUDENTS and click "Proceed to Checkout"
You will be able to make your donation with your credit card or debit card.
**Contributions are 100% tax deductible! And can be matched by employers who offer corporate matching programs!**
2016 Read-A-Thon Results
Congratulations Glenwood - we did it! Students not only exceeded the minute reading goal, but also raised enough money to install the new playground.
Together students read over 280,000 minutes, far exceeding the 125,000 minute goal, and raised over $21,000. This is truly incredible! Best of all, students were excited about reading and pushed themselves to reach or surpass their goals.
Dr. Jasin promised to do something silly if students met the school wide minute reading goal so check out the picture below. Everyone did a wonderful job and each minute counted toward this amazing achievement . Below are the classes and individual students who read the most minutes and will receive their prizes on Friday.
Punk Rocker Dr. Jasin with the individual student winnners
Class: Mrs. Doney
Student: Krisha Shankarnarayan (from Mrs. Miller’s class)
Class: Mrs. August
Student: William Li (from Mrs. Thau’s class)
Class: Mrs. D’Alessandro
Student: Saatchi Chattopadhyay (from Mr. Bodmer’s class)
Class: Mrs. Tichenor
Student: Dylan Ah Now (from Mrs. Tichenor’s class)
Class: Mrs. Webbe
Student: Noah Elder (from Mrs. Webbe’s class)
Class: Mrs. Naso
Student: Nikhil Prakash (from Mrs. Solomon’s class)
- Monday, September 24
- Monday, October 8
- Wednesday, October 17
- Monday, October 29
- Wednesday, October 31
- Monday, November 5
- Tuesday, November 6
Thank You Education Foundation!!
We would like to thank the Education Foundation of Millburn-Short Hills for the generous grants they awarded to Glenwood for upgrades and advancements to our school! In 2018, we received over $12,000!